It’s back. The discussion of gender quotas in parliament is back in a conversation being led by those who would struggle to define what a woman is when asked.
I’ve always wondered, why are the most destructive ideas – the ones that are frequently proven to be bad – the ideas that never die? Ideas like:
- The Australian Greens
But if the door is to be opened on quotas, let’s have some quotas. Can we start with quotas for:
- People who have had genuine work experience outside politics (staffers, party operatives, lobbyists – firm or corporate).
- People who are interested in national outcomes rather than self-gratification.
- People who have some, not much, but some understanding of history, science, economics, and civics. The ability to count, for budgeting purposes, would be a bonus.
- People who don’t have allegiance to factional hacks.
- People who have some modesty and self-awareness.
If we could get 50 per cent of people in our parliaments with these characteristics, can you just imagine just how great Australia could be?
Quotas. Yeah right.
Got something to add? Join the discussion and comment below.